Submitted by : Uzma
AMNIOCENTESIS_ Consent advice no 6_RCOG.May 2006
1. Name of the procedure______.
2. Intended benefits to provide the woman with information______.
3. Women who are obese must be made aware that______________&____
4. Serious risks include
a) failure but an experienced operator is likely to obtain success at the 1st attempt in __% of procedures.
b) An experienced operator is likely to obtain blood-stained samples in approximately_____% of procedures.
c) miscarriage rate ____% over the norm. Should be quoted during counseling.
d) _&_____are rare, serious risks.
e) ___ temporary or prolonged has, an added risk of_________delivery.
f) Chorioamnionitis or severe sepsis is likely to be less than __ procedures.
5. Frequent risk includes_______.
6. Procedure to be carried out or supervised by an ___.
7. It is carried out after ____ weeks, if gestation confirmed by US.
8. It involves the passage of a _ or _ gauge needle through the abdomen under direct US guidance.
9. Involves aspiration of ____ ml of amniotic fluid.
10. Counselling before procedure include ___&_________&_______.
11. _____ should be offered following procedure to all women who are rhesus negative in line with national recommendations.
12. A record should be made of the information given to woman prior to procedure which should include_______, ___&_______. Also information about______&_______
13. The woman should be made aware of any form of______ used.
Answers to Consent on amniocentesis.
2. Regarding the karyotype of fetus (es)
3. In obese, procedure may be technically difficult & could lead to increased rate of complications.
4.a) 94% success rate.
b) 0.8% blood stained samples.
c) miscarriage rate_ 1% over the norm.
d) fetal injury & maternal bowel injury are rare serious risks.
e) Amniotic fluid leakage & preterm delivery.
f) severe sepsis likely to be less than 1/1000procedures.
5. Mild discomfort at the needle insertion site is the frequent risk.
6.Operator deemed experienced by national standards.
7.After 15 weeks of gestation.
8.20_ 22 gauge needle.
9.aspiration of 10_15ml amniotic fluid.
10.Pretest counselling of
_ any local variation
_ risk of miscarriage
_consequences of not performing.
11. Anti D immunoglobulin as rhesus prophylaxis.
12.Record made of information given to woman prior to procedure_
_Method of communicating results,
_ reporting time.
_ indications for seeking medical advice after the test.
_ storage n disposal of the sample.
13. Local Anaesthesia.